Skip to product information
1 of 3

Prophetic Gifts



Regular price £12.00 GBP
Regular price Sale price £12.00 GBP
Sale Sold out
Tax included.

The swiss cheese plant (Monstera deliciosa) produces bright, glossy leaves and makes a popular houseplant. It is originally native to tropical forest regions in Central America. The nickname swiss cheese plant refers to the small holes that develop in the plant's leaves. The long fruits resemble corncobs and smell sweet and fragrant when ripe.

Is swiss cheese plant poisonous?

Swiss cheese plant has low severity toxicity to humans. It can cause contact dermatitis from contact with the sap of the plant, leading to skin irritation, redness, itchiness, mild pain, and inflammation. Ingestion of large quantities of any part other than the fruit of this plant may cause toxic reaction, due to the presence of calcium oxalate crystals and other potential toxins. Symptoms of poisoning from eating the plant may include a burning sensation in the mouth, tongue, and throat, nausea, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, excessive salivation and drooling, and diarrhea. Poisoning is most likely to occur from accidental contact with the sap. It is commonly grown as a houseplant and might also be encountered in forests in tropical areas.

View full details